Events | 7 Reasons to Head to the Great Southwest Cajun Fest! (and a giveaway)
This Saturday the forecast is calling for spicy and delicious in downtown Chandler, all thanks to the Great Southwest Cajun Fest!
From noon to 9pm on Saturday, April 22nd you’ll be able to immerse yourself in the soul of New Orleans which pairs perfectly with the spicy heart of Arizona. The Great Southwest Cajun Fest celebrates Cajun culture and cuisine with a variety of food vendors as well as several musical acts to get the party really swinging.
Looking for a few reasons why you should check out the Great Southwest Cajun Fest? I’ve got 7!
- Affordable fun! General admission tickets are $8 before the event and only $10 at the gate. Kids under 12 are free with a paid adult.
- Go VIP! VIP tickets are available for $125. This special ticket will get you a special menu of catered food, six adult beverages, swanky private restrooms and front stage access. It’s good to be a VIP!
- 5(!) musical guests throughout the fun-filled day! It all starts with Nina Curri at 12pm, followed by The Hourglass Cats at 2pm, Funkhaus Brass Band at 4pm, headliner Zach Deputy at 6pm and finally Hoodoo Casters at 8pm.
- Get your eat on with three fun eating contests! There will be a watermelon eating contest at 3pm, a wing eating contest at 4pm and a crawfish eating contest at 5pm.
- Who doesn’t love a parade! The jam-packed festival will feature a procession with the Mayor and Council, LSU and some crazy adorable puppies at both 2pm and 5:45pm.
- Love to eat? Wear something loose because you are going to want to check out all 13 of the food vendors on hand! (See below for a full listing)
- Like to dress the part? You’re encouraged (but not required) to dress in festive parade style attire and join in on all the fun and celebration throughout the themed zones throughout the festival space. (Think Bourbon Street, French Quarter, Garden District and more!)
Need a few more reasons to head out to the Great Southwest Cajun Festival on Saturday? The food is what always gets me, so let’s dish about who’s going to be there and what they will be serving up!
Angry Crab Shack | shrimp and crawfish boil, Cajun turkey legs, crawfish rolls, cornbread
Creole Cajun Bistro | catfish and shrimp etouffee, catfish and shrimp baskets with fries, hush puppies and whiskey bread pudding
Eddy Dee’s | Cajun boil, jambalaya bread bowl, creole shrimp skews, sausage, mac & cheese, beans and rice, cheese fries
Grill King | curry chicken, jerk chicken, catfish, ribs, red beans and rice, coleslaw
Honey Bear’s BBQ | red beans and rice, jambalaya bowl, shrimp etouffee, catfish, etouffee, fried chicken, fried catfish, spicy hot links, grilled hot dogs. Cornbread, fries, coleslaw, mac & cheese, chips, soda, water, sweet tea, lemonade
Hot Rod Hotdogs | fried gator, fried catfish, fresh cut curly fries, coconut shrimp. Po’ boys
Jamburritos | fried catfish, bbq shrimp, jambalaya, red beans and rice, boudin, andouille sausage and peppers, hush puppies
My Friend the Chef | crawfish, tacos and rice bowls, rice and veggies, salmon, chicken
Pearson’s Catering | catfish, chicken, shrimp, gator, frog legs, po’ boys, jambalaya, hush puppies
Raging Cajun | crawfish etouffee, jambalaya rice, red beans and rice, catfish po’ boys, bbq
Tacos El Jefe | crawfish boil, Cajun tacos, shrimp tacos, corn
Tee’s Concessions | lobster mac & cheese
The Go Dogs | hot and spicy shrimp, crawfish fettuccini, crawfish boil, bread, soda, water
Want to go to the event on me? I am giving away two sets of general admission tickets! All you have to do is leave me a comment on this article letting me know your favorite Cajun food – that’s it!!
The event will take place at Dr. AJ Chandler Park (178 E. Commonwealth Ave) in Chandler.