Five Must Order Dishes at Prado for Those in the Know
We love Prado at the Montelucia and our adoration is quite apparent. We hold no secrets! Every single dish that leaves Chef Peter DeRuvo’s kitchen is phenomenal. But of course, since we are such diehards and visit so often, naturally we have our favorites. We’ve created a list of five of our most-loved dishes, though it was painfully hard to narrow down! Of all the dishes we’ve fallen in love with, we consider these our ‘must-order’ dishes anytime we bring along a newcomer – and in the end, they are all declared winners.
In no particular order, here are our favorites:
5 Must Order Dishes at Prado/Mbar
- Baby Back Ribs – Seasoned with balsamic and rosemary and just the right hint of smokiness, you’ll find these on the tapas menu along with many of our other favorites. If I had to pick a personal favorite at Prado, this would be my winner without a doubt! Crisp on the outside and tender on the inside, I’m convinced they can solve all my bad days. Crazy good!
- Tagliatelli – With Piave Vecchio, Devine Farm Butter and topped with a Duck Egg, this pasta dish is insane (in a good way). Once you break the yolk and the creamy goodness says hello to the pasta – you’ll have no words – nada, I say.
- Beef Heart – Also on the tapas menu, the Beef Heart with pickled radish, arugula and finished with a 20 year balsamic is out of this world. I remember my skepticism the very first time I tried the heart, but the staff assured me that it was tender, delicate and “better than beef tenderloin”. And, boy was it! Since my first taste, I’ve enjoyed it several times on my visits. If it’s something you’ve never given a chance, make sure you give Prado a shot at it first and I’m quite certain you’ll leave a believer. Fantastic!
- Foie Gras – Only recently have I tried the foie at Prado, but it blew me away. It’s listed on the menu as Foie Gras ala ‘Josepha’ — the preparation changes almost daily. On my special “foie visit”, I enjoyed it seared, alongside delicately-adorable crumpets spread with a delicious peach honey butter. Perfection on a plate.
- Sausage, Peppers & Onions – They offer a couple of sausage plates on the tapas and happy hour menus at Mbar and their ‘Sausage, Peppers & Onions’ is the best I’ve ever had. Grab a seat at the tapas bar so you can watch all the action, make friends with the chef behind the counter and have your choice between pork or lamb sausage.
Because every great meal must be completed with dessert!
- Prado Sundae –The dessert menu at Prado changes frequently, but they are known for their sinfully delicious Prado Sundae. I’ve loved every sweet thing that has passed my lips here, but the Sundae takes the cake (pun intended)… perhaps because of the bacon. Who doesn’t love bacon? The special sundae is comprised of vanilla bean and turbinado sugar gelato (made in-house), caramelized bananas, amarone cherries, warm chocolate sauce, crunchy roasted almonds, biscotti crumble, and the best part… apple-wood smoked bacon. Never in my life have I been dealt a more perfect sundae.
If you haven’t made it out to Prado at the Montelucia yet, we highly suggest that you get there…like yesterday (and make a note to try at least a couple of these on your next visit!). Chef DeRuvo is consistently creating awesome in the kitchen and has been praised by many of our local and best-known “foodies” for his craft. His food is not to be missed!
For more information about Prado or hours of operation, visit pradolife.com. For reservations, call 480-627-3004.
Prado | 4949 E. Lincoln Dr | Paradise Valley, AZ | 480-627-3004 | pradolife.com