The Burger You Have All Been Waiting For is Finally Here: Coal Burger
Last week was the soft opening of Coal Burger at the Scottsdale Quarter. I have long been anticipating the opening of this restaurant as we first heard about it back in October, when Amy and I were fortunate enough to meet Jason Kramer and Joseph Ciolli, Grimaldi’s President, at the Celebrity Chef Tour Dinner at elements. Jason and Joe were among table mates and throughout the course of the dinner we ended up discussing the birth of Coal Burger. Both being conscious of the waste in our communities as well as the over-processing of our foods, as well as wanting to expand from the Grimaldi’s menu, they decided to partner with James Beard award-winning chef Bradford Thomson (who acted as a menu consultant) to create a fast casual burgeria. They wanted to be sure that along with the food being phenomenal, that all aspects of the concept proved to be environmental conscious and made with all natural products and ingredients.
There is not a lot of fluff here, no plates or Styrofoam boxes. Your food is delivered to you at your table on a tray and wrapped in biodegradable paper. The materials used to create the space were well thought out and are environmentally friendly. All the beef is hormone-free and pasture raised. The produce – all free of pesticides and harmful fertilizers and seasonally farmed.
There are 6 styles of beef burgers on the menu as well as a veggie-friendly option, the obvious star of the show, all served on a brioche bun – though you can request a gluten-free bun or lettuce wrap if you prefer. All burgers are prepared on a coal-fired brick oven which certainly lends an unexpected and rich flavor. You can pair your burger (or one of 2 chicken sandwiches if you prefer) with your choice of regular or sweet potato fries or natural potato chips, all of which are fried in an antioxidant-rich rice bran oil, and your pick of 5 dipping sauces. There are also 4 salad creations with your choice of 8 dressings.
If you are looking for a delicious treat to follow up your meal (and why wouldn’t you be?), make sure that you don’t pass up on one of their delicious thick gelato shakes.
Here’s what my son and I had
- Black and Blue Burger “applewood bacon, crumbled blue, roasted tomato ($7.25)” I am a complete and utter sucker for blue cheese, and there has never been a time where I have passed on a blue cheese burger. This visit was no exception. I was so pleased with the incorporation of the roasted tomato. It brought a slight sweetness to the burger that you just cannot get with bottled ketchup. Delicious!
- Black & White Gelato Milkshake ($5.00) I loved the thickness of the shake (you get an extra large stray to help you out). It was really rich and seriously…is there a better choice to pair with a burger? I think not!
- Classic Cole Burger “Coal Burger Sauce, lettuce, pickles ($4.95)” My son was feeling particularly picky this evening, so he opted for the burger and bun combo only. He told me that he really enjoyed it and that he liked that it tasted like we were on a picnic. (He’s 6, folks!)
- Hazelnut –Milk Chocolate Gelato Milkshake ($5.00)
My son let me have one taste of his shake…and only one! This is a Nutella lover’s dream. It was so rich and full of flavor and even had a few shaved hazelnuts incorporated throughout the shake. I was really jealous of his choice.
- Sweet Potato Fries ($3.00) These were a major hit with me, but especially with my son. He wanted me to ask for more once our shared portion was done. I got the Housemade Creamy Horseradish sauce which I thought was a great compliment to the sweetness of the fries.
We both had a great time and were very thankful to be included in the trial run.
This really is great food with a conscience. I am overjoyed that the wait is over and I will make the trek to the Scottsdale Quarter, with a happy heart, to get my fill until the Casa Paloma location in Chandler is opened.
For more information on times, menu and upcoming events visit http://coalburger.com/ or call 480-596-1234.
Re-cap by Taryn Jeffries, PhoenixBites Staff Writer
*This meal was provided to us complimentary as a part of a media invitation. However, this has no effect on our opinions and comments regarding our experience. View our Disclosure Policy for further explanation.