Events | Clear Your Calendar for the Phoenix MasterChef Auditions!
Have you ever been camped out on your couch watching the latest cooking competition and thought, “Why am I not on this show?!” Well, soon you will have your chance because the Phoenix MasterChef auditions are happening this month!
If you’ve been a PhoenixBites reader for a while, you likely remember when we checked out the show hopefuls at the Embassy Suites Biltmore back in October of 2013 or when my gal pal Monti hosted a special front of the line competition back in 2012. I had a chance to learn firsthand from Monti how the audition and competition process went as well as how being on the show, literally, changed the direction of her whole life.
If you are handy with a knife and know the difference between a roulade and a remoulade, you’re going to want to clear your calendar on September 16th for the Phoenix MasterChef auditions! If you think you have what it takes, you’re going to need to prepare. So, let’s get you ready!
How to Prepare for the Phoenix MasterChef Auditions
- Practice, Practice, Practice! If I have learned anything from all the folks that I have met at the auditions, you need to be very clear on your dish. You need to test it out and make sure that it is something that will wow the judges. You could make the most comforting bowl of mac n’ cheese or the best snickerdoodles but that’s likely not going to cut it here. You need to stand out. There are going to be hundreds of hopefuls and you need to make sure that you have something that the judges are really going to remember at the end of the day.
- Preparation is key! There will be no kitchen to prepare your dish. You’ll need to arrive with a completed dish. If your dish needs to stay warm or cold, you need to bring along the appropriate tools to make that happen. Once you step into the audition room, you will only have three minutes to finish and plate your dish. That’s it. So this is another element that you may want to practice and time yourself. You need to bring everything that you are going to need. While the folks in the waiting areas are going to be some of the nicest people you’ve ever met, it’s a competition and they may not help you out of you’ve forgotten something.
- Be the You-iest You there ever was! MasterChef is all about how well you can cook, learn, listen and respond. There is also that element of the back story and your personality. What is it that makes you so unique? Pinpoint on that and maybe amp that up a little. Like I said before, you need to have made a lasting impression so that the judges remember you at the end of the day.
- Confidence is Key! If you have the hutzpah to complete the online registration, fill out your application, put in the work to perfect your dish and make your way to the Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak on September 16th you’ve already shown signs of serious confidence in yourself. Don’t lose that when you walk through the audition doors. Walk in, command attention (respectfully, of course) and present your very best self. You’ve totally got this! (If you feel like you need an extra boost, practice your audition room pitch on family or friends and welcome their feedback!)
- Don’t worry about being star-struck. Gordon, Aaron and Cristina won’t be there, so there is no need to panic.
You’ve got this and I can’t wait to hear about your experience and hopefully see you on the next season! Who knows, maybe I will be roaming around the green room again at this year’s Phoenix MasterChef Auditions!
Don’t forget! The open casting in happening on September 16th, from 10am until 6pm at the Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak Resort in Phoenix. Visit the MasterChef Casting site to make sure you complete and download all the necessary forms…and then get cooking!( Let me know if you need an expert taster!)