Weekend Bites: 2015 Arizona Taco Festival
Normally we have a ton of recommendations on where you can get your grub on over the weekend, but this weekend there is really only one place you’re going to want to spend your time, money and stomach space: The 6th Annual Arizona Taco Festival.
I have been honored to have been an official and certified National Taco Association judge for the last 4 years. I have thoroughly enjoyed each year of judging and have made some great friends through that experience and have had some killer tacos, too! With close to 50 different restaurants vying for Top Taco status (as well as the $10,000 in cash awards) you will have your pick of $2 tacos throughout the weekend. You’ll want to remember that the Arizona Taco Festival runs on tokens and each token has a $2 value. You’ll use tokens to purchase tacos, dessert, cocktails, water and soda. There will be ATM’s onsite in the event that you start to run low on tokens and cash.
There are a ton of things to do during the 2 day Festival, beyond eating all the tacos.
Arizona Taco Festival Events
• Lucha Libre Wrestling*
• VIP Beach
• Main Bar Experiences by Distrito, Dos Gringos, El Hefe, Salty Senorita and Wasted Grain
• Live Music Stage
• Interactive Photo Booths
• Hot Chile Pepper Eating Contest on Saturday at 2:30pm
• Chef Hat Decorating in the Amica Insurance Culinary Corner
• Taco Eating Contests each day at 3pm
• Taco Award Presentations: 6:45pm each day
• People’s Choice Voting at Contest Check-In Booth
• The Legendary Tequila Expo (Saturday, 12-5pm)
• Cooking Demonstrations on a Sub-Zero/Wolf stage (Sunday)
• Chihuahua Beauty Pageant, Sunday at 2:30pm
• Flair Bartender Challenge, Sunday at 4:30pm
General Admission Tickets at the gate $15
Margarita Lovers Package at the gate $21
VIP Access at the gate $100
Kids 12 and under are free (with an adult of course, don’t be silly)
Tequila Expo (Saturday only) $20
The Arizona Taco Festival begins at 11am until 7pm on both Saturday and Sunday and parking is free, so there really is no reason why you shouldn’t be there!