Fall baking made easy with Pyrex “Bake & Store” dishes
As the seasons change and colors of autumn draw near, flavors of the fall months inspire home cooks to pull out their aprons and kick off holiday baking. From sweet treats like quick breads, cakes, and cookies, to savory dishes and casseroles, the new season encourages some of my favorite, fall-themed baked foods.
You may have heard of Pyrex’s Easy Grab ‘Bake & Store’ line through various commercial ads – just in time for holiday baking, their line of bake and store glass dishes are the perfect accessory in any baker’s kitchen cabinets. Available in all different shapes and sizes, you can find one that fits ‘just right’ for whatever creation you’re whipping up.
I had a chance to try out two of the baking dishes myself — the Easy Grab 8” Square Baking Dish and the 3-qt Oblong Baking Dish, both with red plastic covers.
Both glass dishes were surprisingly lightweight without sacrificing sturdiness and felt comfortable in my hands because of the ergonomic design of the large handles (something my other glass baking dishes don’t have). Baking in glass versus metal pans takes away any concern about metals absorbing in your foods and glass will actually cook an item faster than a metal pan. If you want to get a nice, brown crust or caramelized color on your foods, glass is the way to go. Glass also saves money and lessens waste since it is reusable and lasts longer than disposable plastic and foil. Pyrex’s glass won’t absorb stains or odors so you are ensured a sparkling dish after even the messiest casseroles.
I really like the aesthetic of the dishes – for the Easy Grab line, they’ve acquired a contemporary design that you’ll feel comfortable serving at the table with dinner guests. And, I love the pop of color that the red lids add to my bakeware collection. They slip on and off easily too, and are made of BPA-free materials. After you’ve baked your cake or casserole, simply pop on a lid and store on the fridge! Could it be any simpler?
Pyrex’s Easy Grab dishes are incredibly affordable and a tiny investment for bakeware that you’ll use for years to come. The Easy Grab 8” Square Baking Dish with lid retails for $11.99 while the 3-qt Oblong Baking Dish (9”x13”) with lid is priced at $13.99. Purchase your own at various retailers or online at pyrexware.com.
Check out a recipe for Four-Cheese Macaroni sure to please even the pickiest of eaters:
Prep: 20 min | Bake: 20 min | Makes 6 servings
- 8oz package small shell macaroni
- 8oz cream cheese, softened
- 8oz shredded smoked Gouda cheese
- 8oz shredded mozzarella cheese
- 8oz shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons stone-ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/5 cup plain bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a Pyrex 3-qt (9”x13”) baking dish with cooking spray. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook macaroni for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente. Drain well, set aside.
- Spread the cream cheese over the bottom of the baking dish; top with one-third of the macaroni. Top with Gouda cheese, another third of the macaroni, the mozzarella, and the remaining third of the macaroni. Top with cheddar cheese. In a medium bowl, whisk together cream, eggs, and mustard. Pour over cheese and macaroni. Bake in preheated oven about 20 minutes or until bubble and golden brown.
- While casserole bakes, melt the butter in a small skillet over medium-high heat. As soon as the butter stops foaming, add the bread crumbs and stir about 3 minutes with a wooden spoon until the bread crumbs are browned. Immediately remove from heat and transfer to a dish to cool. To serve, spoon macaroni onto serving plates. Sprinkle the bread crumbs over top.
Written by Amy Martin, PhoenixBites Editor in Chief
Disclaimer: Complimentary samples were provided to PhoenixBites for review purposes. PhoenixBites does not endorse the company mentioned above.